Monday 4 June 2012

My hybrid business card index cards

It's often necessary to pass on my business contact details to people I meet, and I used to use professionally-printed business cards to do that. Sometimes I still do. But I have discovered a better way, and one that allows me to leave a more memorable impression on my contacts.

I print my own 3x5 index cards bearing my contact details. They look like this:

My business contacts get my contact details, but they also get a handwritten note above them. To make sure I always have something to write, I've omitted my mobile phone number from the printed details.

You could print these straight onto index cards, but I make mine on A4 paper, three to a sheet, using Microsoft Publisher. A printed sheet looks like this:


The printed crop marks make it very easy to cut these out, and a supply of them lives in one of the full-length pockets in my Filofax.

6 comments:

Josh LaPorte said...

Ray,
These are a great idea! I've been thinking of having some notecards with my contact details printed up, but now maybe I'll do them myself!

There is definitely something of a competitive edge to the handwritten note from a business perspective. I send out a steady stream of notes every week, people really notice and appreciate them.

Ray Blake said...

Yes, that's my experience too. When I first made them it was with a view to trying them out and then getting some professionally printed if they worked well, but actually, the ones I make at home are more than good enough. Plus I know the card I use is fountain pen friendly.

Neil said...

I'm impressed, Ray. I particularly like your idea to omit your mobile number.

DEM said...

These are wonderful! Great idea. Were I to receive one of these with a handwritten note, it would certainly stand out and leave a positive impression. Nicely done, Ray!

Butanben said...

Wow Ray! How very clever. I have made my own business cards on photographic paper with my details and photo attached. A freebie site called Big Huge Labs.com does some super business card templates too which can take a photo. But I love your personal message touch. More importantly for me it does an ID card, on that site, which I have made into a medical ID card. Also on Big Huge Labs is a lovely old fashioned photo strip, like in the photo booths, which I have put 4 family photos on to and use as a front page marker in my Filofax. Love your ideas Ray. Thanks. xx

Safdar Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...